A Tale of Two Kitties

What do Polish game developers and my job have in common? They both collided this morning to create one of the worst mornings I’ve had in a long time.  The week was ending on a sour note to begin with. I’d been passed over for a promotion at work, had my schedule changed to something more inconvenient and just generally in a bit of a funk. 

But Rain, what about Polish game developers? I hear you ask. Well today was the release date for a major update for the PC RPG The Witcher. It included a ton of updates, and extra content that they were giving to the original owners of the game (as well as selling in a special edition in stores). Since I was off today (after being asked to switch my shift today for Saturday) I figured I’d get up, start the d/l of the 2 gig update and run errands, while it was being downloaded. The problem is just about every other person who owns the game thought the same thing and there were a lot of problems with the servers. I restarted a stalled d/l for the fourth time in an hour, when I heard this horrendous screeching followed by a thump at my front door. I set my laptop down, opened the door and had a really pissed off, and hackles raised stray run in through my legs quickly followed by his/her attacker. Detta, my cat, is very territorial. One time I was feeding some of the strays, and when I put food out one night she ran out and chased them away. that was the one and only time she ever went out, as she’s an indoor kitty. Well I had a cat fight going on in my living room, with my cat hissing and getting agitated. I went to grab Detta to get her out of harms way when she slipped through my hands and pounced on one of the others. I tried grabbing her again and one of the others began scratching and clawing at me, getting some good ones in on my arms. The other cat, was on it’s back defending itself from my tough gal. I stepped away quickly wondering what the hell I was going to do and an idea came to me. I grabbed my dust buster vacuum and turned it on, and chased the two intruders away from my cat. I scooped her up and got her into the bathroom to lock her in while I got rid of the others. Well, this didn’t sit well with her, as she began scratching at the door, and yowling. I went back to the living room, opened the front door and had to chase each cat out from hiding places. Apparently the vaccum caused a cease fire to find hiding places. It took me almost half an hour to get them out. 

Detta had stopped scratching as fiercely as she had, and I went to let her out when I saw a small pool of blood on the floor, and droplets of blood along the bathtub. I picked her up and saw her belly had blood all over an  area about 3-4 inches. As luck would have it, there’s an animal hospital/veterinary clinic, about a block from my apt. I was able to get her in the pet carrier and took her down there. All this and it was barely 730 AM. 

After waiting almost an hour with an increasingly irritated cat, I finally got in to see the vet, who stitched her up. 225 bucks later I was getting ready to leave when the vet told me I should go see my doctor for the scratches I got from the other cats. I got her home, called my primary care physician and was told to come in immediately. One co payment and a tetanus shot later, I’m finally home, exhausted, sore and feeling like hell.

And the d/l stalled again. 

I think it’s time for a nap.

0 thoughts on “A Tale of Two Kitties

  1. Pingback: Belly
  2. I feel bad for her, it’s like seeing a child come home all beat up. Once I’m off work I’ll be getting her some special treats.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *